To start off, I must mention that this is is a heavily biased review. Three years ago, we moved to Colorado, and friendless and unrooted began attending a bazillion meetups to gather my community as quickly as possible. One of my favorites was the Denver Sewing Collective - a more helpful and knowledgeable group of sewing women would be hard to find. Every quarter they would have an all day sewing Saturday (dreamy, right?) and one of these happy days I met Anna. She lived only four blocks away from me! And she is a sewing Jedi - I doubt an old Italian tailor could put together clothes more beautifully than she does. She sells her garments on Etsy, but she has also added some of her patterns to this mix. (You can check out her gorgeous blog here.) Anyhow, I was so sad to lose Anna's company when we moved back to Massachusetts. We could talk for hours about Anne of Green Gables, cats, and our experiences growing up in giant homeschool families. She is one of my favorite people. So all this to say, this review is anything but neutral.
Fresh off one really long project (the Archer shirt) and one really failed project (Burdastyle 6990, immortalized in a previous post), I got an email from Anna saying she had released the Heidi Pullover. It looked fresh and cute and like it belonged to a New England summer camp. So I bought it right away. I can't overstate how nice it is to sew with a very straightforward pattern using a stable woven cotton. After sewing through a thick cotton flannel that didn't press well and the world's worst jersey knit, this was exactly what I needed to get my sewing mojo back.
I had given up buying anything for Lent, which is one really good way to clear out your stash of fabrics. I've had this cotton for years - in fact, one of the first shirts I ever sewed was made with this (a Pendrell from Sewaholic, RIP) but as with many early sewing projects it was very homemade looking. The back was off-grain, the seams were fraying, and I eventually got rid of it. However, I still really liked the fabric and fortunately, I had enough to turn into a second garment.
The pattern is quite easy and straightforward - it's definitely suitable for beginners. It all came together quite nicely. I had difficulty easing the neckline into the collar, so I recut a new collar about 1cm longer than the original pattern, but I think that is more of my easing issues than a problem with the pattern. It has enough fun construction details to keep it interesting. The placket detail and top stitching don't show up in pictures very well, but you can see it with an interior shot.
You fold under the edges of the placket and top stitch. I was afraid it would be fiddly, but this fabric pressed very nicely, and I used fabric spray adhesive to stick it down, so I wouldn't have to mess with pins. It came out much neater than my usual topstitching. (Spray adhesive FTW!) Several nice finishing techniques are used to enclose most of the seams which adds to the clean look of the garment. I also learned how to make a thread loop, which I've never done before.
As I was sewing, I realized this is a little more boho than my usual style and I had some concerns about how much I would wear it, but it's both flattering, comfortable and in a fabric that can stand up to all of the gardening dirt I get on myself. It's taken me a while to get pictures of it because it's been waiting to get laundered after a few wears, so there goes that concern.
Anyhow, it's a great pattern. You can get it here.
And now for a few more pictures of the finished garment...